Today as lunchtime was rolling around I realized that I wasn’t in the mood for my usual peanut butter sandwich so I decided to try something new. I happened to have a ton of eggs so I decided to make an egg sandwich! I also had some humus lying around which turned out to go perfectly with the egg and pita, but if you don’t have it do not let it stop you from making this delicious sandwich! Enjoy for breakfast or lunch.
Time: 5-10 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 2 pita bread pockets, white or wheat
- 4-6 leaves fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp humus
- If you don’t have pita bread just use two pieces of any other bread
- You may substitute ½ tbsp dried basil for fresh basil
- Substitute butter for olive oil (you’ll use it to coat the pan when you cook the eggs). Personally I prefer olive oil because I find that the eggs stick less but butter is probably tastier
- If you don’t have humus you could try mayo, pesto or any other spread you like, or go without a spread.
In a small bowl crack eggs.
Wash the basil, rip it into large pieces and add to the eggs. Add a few shakes of salt and pepper. Using a fork mix your eggs until the whites and yolks are completely combined.
Meanwhile, toast your pita bread (if you don’t have a toaster, place a baking sheet in the oven, turn oven to 300 and toss the pita pockets in). They will have to toast for a bit longer if you’ve been keeping them in the freezer.
Take your small fry pan and bring to medium heat on stove. Add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Once the rim of the pan is hot, add the eggs. They should sizzle when they hit the pan.
After about one minute or so, mix the eggs to that the raw parts hit the pan and start to cook. Mix every few minutes until the eggs are scrambled and cooked.
Remove pita from toaster (oven). Open pockets and spread as much humus as desired. Using a spoon, fill the pockets with eggs and enjoy! I had mine with a side of carrots (wash carrots, peel, cut into strips) but you could also have a piece of fruit to make it a balanced lunch. Enjoy!